Wednesday, October 28, 2015

BEATRYSEL's power to summon

There is a recurring magickal moment when I sell books in person. I have seen it many times in many places. Someone approaches my table and points to BEATRYSEL and says, "What's that?" in that one certain way. I'd not mentioned the book, I'd not pitched the demon lover, I only have BEATRYSEL out, the cover on display. It's as if they're drawn to it— summoned to it. It draws them from across a room, past other vendors, other authors, other books, past best-sellers, and famous titles, to my table, past the books with award stickers, past ELEANOR and BRAND, to the dark love tale in the winter rain to the teal circle and mournful eye.

I warn them what it is. I tell them of its origin, its accuracy, its fabric. I'd not have someone hate me for my writing, so I warn them about BEATRYSEL. And they always buy a copy and clutch it like a tome and I smile.

I know then I have a fan, I know I've met one of "those" people, one like me. It is a thrill that goes beyond the author moment and informs my view of the universe.




"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will."


No comments:

Post a Comment