Wednesday, March 1, 2017

LITERARY QUERYING-THE ART OF REJECTION

The next class I’m teaching at the University of Utah Lifelong Learning Center will be LITERARY QUERYING-THE ART OF REJECTION. This will be the second time I’ve taught this course, though I’ve lived it for my entire career.

The class began as a one hour presentation for writers at conferences. It was a good follow-up for my signature class A NOVEL IN 90 DAYS, FAKE IT ’TIL YOU MAKE, an inspirational class to get writers in the proper delusional mindset to strive for literary success, or at least finish a novel.

I’ve expanded my original presentation about tools to have ready and ripe, forms and formats, markets and rejection, to include things I’ve learned from being an acquisitions editor. I take pitches, I comb the slush pile, I edit books for publication. Working the other side of the process has been eye-opening. I also have new experiences with agents and higher publishing goals as my career has progressed.

No one told me any of this going in. Everything I teach here I learned the hard way. That is to say, that this class is the class I wish I’d have found early my career. It’s about the things no one tells you about.

The game is fixed. It’s never been a meritocracy. It’s about luck and sunspots, positioning and readiness. It’s about war—being prepared and organized. The class teaches what weapons you’ll need, how to sharpen them, and where to position yourself for the best chance to use them.

The class is heavy on workshop. We critique the stuff we assemble, be it the first pages (hook), blurb, synopsis or the all-powerful query letter. Once properly armed, our intrepid hero-authors will be equipped to set out upon their quests for publishing glory.

The class begins March 21st and runs for six weeks on Tuesday evenings, 6:30-9:00 at the main University of Utah Campus in the annex building. Here’s the link.


Space is limited and I don't know when the course will come back around.

One last word, the class is geared to authors who have finished a work that they wish to query. If your book isn’t done yet, I’d suggest you put your time there. We’ll catch you on the next one. Check back.



No comments:

Post a Comment